Thursday 3 January 2013

What to expect...?

One week to go....I'm really excited about starting the Beauty Therapy course!

I rung up the college last week to ask what I'd need to bring on the first day, apparently just myself and a notepad & pen!  What to wear though?! Jeans and a top?  Some comfy black leggings? Do I wear make up? Or not? Hair up? Or down? Yes, all these thoughts are going through my mind!

Think I'll opt for comfy leggings, hair up, minimal make up and a neat french manicure.  Surely all these things must be considered when embarking on a beauty therapy course!!! He he!

Part of the cost of the course is for the uniform and kit.  I guess that will all be ordered when we get there.  I think the uniform is a black top and trousers.

The course consists of:

  • Health & Safety
  • Promoting additional products/services to the client
  • Facial skin care treatments
  • Enhancing the appearance of Eyebrows & Lashes
  • Waxing
  • Manicure
  • Pedicure
  • Make up

Although this course isn't cheap (I didn't get any help with funding as I work full time), I like the fact that you get to practise your skills with real clients in the college salon.  That's one thing I need, to build my confidence working with clients (who aren't friends or family!).  So I'm hoping the 'promoting additional services' module will really help, and give me the confidence to build my mobile business.  It could be that the course is more geared towards working in an actual salon, but I'm sure it will be helpful for a mobile therapist too.

I'm not planning on doing facial treatments as part of my mobile service, but I love facial massage (or any type of massage!) so it's something I'm very much looking forward to.

Where the brows are concerned, I usually thread and tweeze my own eyebrows, or occasionally go to the department store to get them threaded.  I went on a threading course a while back, but found it really hard to properly master the art of threading (where they use the hands and mouth).  It's something I want to practise and improve upon, and maybe offer as a service, together with eyebrow waxing.

Not sure how much I'll learn from the manicure part of the course, but again, I want to get more confident dealing with clients in their homes, so either way it's just more practise.  Never done a pedicure, but let see how that one goes!

As far as make up is concerned, I guess we all love make up!  Although I personally don't wear a lot of make up day to day.  Not planning on offering this as a service, so this will be purely for fun, but again, I may enjoy it so much and decide to take it further - who knows!

So that's what I'm expecting from the course.  It'll be hard work, having a full time job, going to college on a Saturday, practising and doing 'homework' during the week, as well as being a newly married lady!  But I'm looking forward to the challenge, bring it on!!

3 comments:

  1. Learn facials, they are such easy money in some respects. You can earn so much in one hour from a facial that it would take several eyebrow waxes or a few manicures to match it. Good luck with your course and I look forward to reading your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comments :)

      I've enlisted a few friends and colleagues to be models at college and for practise - no one's turned me down as yet!

      Ideally I'd want to offer facials (and I didn't realise they were so lucrative) but being mobile, it was the prospect of having to transport around a full length portable table that put me off. At the moment I use a mobile manicure table, and that's cumbersome enough! That's the only reason really...

      Delete
  2. Ps. you will find you will need a lot of family/friend support as you need to book people into the salon and they are easiest. The promoting salon services is quite simple really - encourage people to book again for another treatment :)

    ReplyDelete